@uspic¡ous Fish¿!
Delirious With Weird

 
Tuesday, September 21, 2004  
Feeling Listless...


I make no claims at definitiveness (why bother?). In fact I make no claims at anything – these are just 50 records from the first decade of the 21st century of human history (as determined by the rather arbitrary system of Christian calendar) that I really like but don’t… quite… love. Why don’t I love them? Well, for some of them it’s because they’re very recent and I’ve not fully had time to get to know them yet, but feel a seed of attraction/affection/attachment/enjoyment or whatever already. For some of them it’s because there are a handful of songs that I love and a handful I don’t. For others it will be that I quite like all the songs but love none. For yet others it will be because I enjoy listening to them but rarely engage. For others it will be because I admire what’s being attempted. For others it will be because there is a residual affection transposed from previous work by the artist.

I make no apologies for what some people might consider my conservative taste. I make no apologies for what some people might consider my erratic, eclectic, schizophrenic, too-wilful-by-half taste. I make no apologies for anything at all, ever. I never do anything worth apologising for. (Or I try not to, anyway.) I make no apologies for not including that Coldplay record or anything by Richard Ashcroft or anything else by your favourite band when they are not my favourite band, no matter who your favourite band might be.

And it there’s anything not here, well, it’s not here. I might not have heard it, I might not have liked it at all, or I might have loved it and included it in The A List, which you might also get to see one day.

And as for why 50, well, I was asked to do a list of 50 records from this decade which I loved, and there were a handful I felt bad about leaving out, so I figured I’d make another list of 50 and stick it here. Why not? I was bored, and it’ll give Unterberger and Mathers something to look at for five minutes…

And as for the order they’re in… well, it isn’t any order beyond the order I wrote them down in as I looked around my shelves.

THE B LIST

!!! – Louden Up Now
Christina Aguilera – Stripped
Basement Jaxx – Rooty
The Bees – Sunshine Hit Me
The Beta Band – Heroes To Zeroes
Bjork – Medulla
Cannibal Ox – The Cold Vein
Cornelius – Point
Delgados – The Great Eastern
Siobhan Donaghy – Revolution In Me
Dave Douglas – Freak In
Elbow – Asleep In The Back
El-P – Fantastic Damage
EST – Seven Days Of Falling
Four Tet – Rounds
Ghostface Killah – The Pretty Toney Album
Idlewild – The Remote Part
Lambchop – Aw C’mon / No You C’mon
M83 – Dead Cities, Red Seas And Lost Ghosts
Mogwai – Happy Songs For Happy People
The Beta Band – Hot Shots Part II
The Blue Nile – High
The Earlies – These Were
Manitoba – Start Breaking My Heart
The Necks – Aether
Prefuse 73 – Vocal Stylings & Uprock Narratives
Sigur Ros – Agaetis Byrjun
Susumu Yokota – Sakura
Susumu Yokota – Grinning Cat
Orbital – Blue Album
Outkast – Speakerboxxx / The Love Below
Pulp – We Love Life
Radiohead – Hail To The Thief
The Rapture – Echoes
Spiritualized - Let It Come Down
Bubba Sparxxx – Dark Days, Bright Nights
Britney Spears – Britney
Britney Spears – In The Zone
The Streets – A Grand Don’t Come For Free
The Strokes – Is This It?
Sugababes – One Touch
Rufus Wainwright – Want One
Gillian Welch – Time (The Revelator)
Gillian Welch – Soul Journey
Mouse On Mars – Ideology
Mouse On Mars – Radical Connector
Dismemberment Plan – Change
Beth Gibbons – Out Of Season
Asian Dub Foundation – Community Music
Kelis – Tasty

NJS

9/21/2004 09:52:00 am

5 Comments:

Blogger bushra - 2:35 pm

great post. i read it and thought 'why can't everyone else write about music like that?'

 
Blogger Ian - 7:24 am

I'm actually surprised to see "Heroes To Zeroes" and "The Remote Part" here, but for opposite reasons; I thought HTZ would have made the A list, and for some reason I just assumed you hated Idlewild (why, I'm not sure). "100 Broken Windows" is their best work, anyway.

Oh, and it took me two minutes.

 
Blogger Sick Mouthy - 8:47 am

100 Broken Windows is on the A list.

 
Blogger Ian - 9:32 pm

Awesome! Now I just need to figure out why I thought you hated them...

 
Blogger Sick Mouthy - 8:48 am

God knows. I reviewed Remote Part for Stylus and said some VERY nice things (probably far TOO nice, actually).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 



¿L¡nks¡

Stylus Grooves Measure ILX SFJ James in Italy James in Japan Freaky Trigger Marcello Happy and Lost Oli Office Dom Passantino Assistant Colin Cooper Geeta Dave Queen Jess Harvell Gareth Silver Dollar Woebotnik Septum Flux Not Today, Thank You Gutterbreakz De Young Nate Patrin Matos Andy K Haiku War Against Silence I Feel Love Rob K-Punk Nto Vlao Laputa Woebot Tim Finney Ben Robin Carmody TMFTML AK13 B Boy Blues Cha Cha Cha Clem Ian Mathers Meta Critic Blissblog Luka Freelance Mentalists Some Disco DJ Martian Pink Moose Leon Nayfakh Crumbling Loaf Enthusiastic But Mediocre iSpod Auspiciousfish news feed Nickipedia



AusPishFish Arch¡ves
<< current

Nothing Here Is True

Powered by Blogger Site Meter


Nick Southall is Contributing Editor at Stylus Magazine and occasionally writes for various other places on and offline. You can contact him by emailing auspiciousfishNO@SPAMgmail.com


All material © Nick Southall, 2003/2004/2005