@uspic¡ous Fish¿!
Delirious With Weird

 
Thursday, August 21, 2003  
This evening's listening...

The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
Oddly, Martin Carr emailed me on Tuesday to ask if I'd like to contribute to a ten-year-anniversary site for Giant Steps, after he'd been surfing the web for stuff about the album and come across my review on Stylus. He wanted it by tomorrow, so I said I wouldn't have time, and then quickly dashed off an email to my friend Mary, who used to run the Boos' fanclub back in the day. Anyway, this morning Martin rang Mary to ask her if she'd contribute, and also mentioning that he'd had an email from somebody who knew her (ie; me), so Mary then rang me this evening and voilá, made me feel guilty until I found the time to bash out 300-or so words for him. Small world, eh?

DM & Jemini - Ghetto Pop Life
Dom Passantino is a fantastic addition to the Stylus staff, not only because he's young, British, gobby, and writes like a m*th*rf*ck*r, but because he's turned me onto this, which is fantastic.

The Nextmen - Get Over It
Dom also turned me on to this, which is also fantastic. Plus "get over it", or, more accurately, "get over yourself" is the best piece of advice I've ever received, and this whole album seems to be about expressing that same truism. Relax. It's OK. The way to be happy is to be happy. The way to stop being miserable is to stop being miserable. There's some dancehall-type rhythms going on in a couple of tracks featuring Cutty Ranks, and, although I'm still white, rural, and lower-middle-class, I really enjoyed them. Given that I loved the dancehall stuff on last year's Sofa Surfers album too (not to mention the wicked Super Cat track on The Neptunes Introduce... Clones [my review for Stylus goes up tomorrow]), I think it's time to say go on someone, recommend me some dancehall / ragga... I might get into it yet. Though I imagine this stuff I'm enjoying so far is incredibly diluted and pussy-whipped white-boy compared to, fuck knows, Sizzla or Sean Paul or whoever. I put my hands up and admit to knowing nothing about this stuff except that my old flatmate Chico loved it. But he also loved smoking dope till his eyes hurt and playing Worms all day on the PlayStation.

Bell X1 - Music In Mouth
Purely business. Two listens this evening, a bit of net-based research (thank you, All Music Guide, for telling me who the fuck they are) and some note-taking, and then 30 minutes at the bedroom PC writing up a review to hit Stylus tomorrow. Load of crap. The album, that is, not the review. The review is, of course, magnificent. Maybe.

8/21/2003 11:13:00 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 



¿L¡nks¡

Stylus Grooves Measure ILX SFJ James in Italy James in Japan Freaky Trigger Marcello Happy and Lost Oli Office Dom Passantino Assistant Colin Cooper Geeta Dave Queen Jess Harvell Gareth Silver Dollar Woebotnik Septum Flux Not Today, Thank You Gutterbreakz De Young Nate Patrin Matos Andy K Haiku War Against Silence I Feel Love Rob K-Punk Nto Vlao Laputa Woebot Tim Finney Ben Robin Carmody TMFTML AK13 B Boy Blues Cha Cha Cha Clem Ian Mathers Meta Critic Blissblog Luka Freelance Mentalists Some Disco DJ Martian Pink Moose Leon Nayfakh Crumbling Loaf Enthusiastic But Mediocre iSpod Auspiciousfish news feed Nickipedia



AusPishFish Arch¡ves
<< current

Nothing Here Is True

Powered by Blogger Site Meter


Nick Southall is Contributing Editor at Stylus Magazine and occasionally writes for various other places on and offline. You can contact him by emailing auspiciousfishNO@SPAMgmail.com


All material © Nick Southall, 2003/2004/2005